Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!

To: Deve Krehbiel <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:19:43 -0400
Deve,
   I think the main problem is the distance of the spot welds that you tried to
connect. I assume this is  a but weld. I start out perhaps 5 inches apart and
then start going in-between until I end up with spots about 3/4 inches apart. I
then weld the spots together skipping around to not concentrate heat. I still
sometimes get minor warpage doing this. Ways you can minimize it are to use a
copper or aluminum backup. I've heard of heat dam putty to also be good.
   I set my Lincoln on the next to lowest setting, just enough so it will
penetrate the thickness of the metal . 80/20 mix is what you want.
   Since you have nothing to loose you may try straightening. Welds shrink when
they cool. Try backing up the weld  with steel and hammer just the weld to
stretch. Go easy, its easy to move and work the length gradually. You can also
try working the areas with a soft mallet and sand bag. You might get lucky. If
you get it reasonably close you may feel filling is an option at that point.  If
all else fails, cutting the weld might be worth a try. Maybe even spot in a
backup strip. I generally don't like backups or flanged joints because they can
trap water, especially in the bottom of your door.
   At least this experience you're gaining is on a door which I would imagine in
your area can be found relatively easily.

Grant