[oletrucks] Shop Hoist Engineering Question

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Shop Hoist Engineering Question
From: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:57:11 -0500
I am in the process of designing my garage/shop which I am finally going to
build this summer. It will be 24' deep and 32' wide, with three bays and
three 9' roll up garage doors. I am probably going to be building it as a
pole barn type construction. I am thinking that I would like to engineer it
so that I have a steel I-beam running the full 24' depth down the middle of
the third bay so that I could support an overhead, rolling, 2 or 3 ton chain
hoist (I've put a copy of my draft floor plan on the web at
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/jeff/garage/garage_frame.htm if you are
having trouble visualizing this.)

I'd appreciate any input from others who have put overhead hoists in shops.
Any thoughts on engineering and construction details would be greatly
appreciated. For example, could I just set the I-beam on top of the double
2"x12" wooden header that spans the 9' garage door opening, or will I need a
steel header?

TIA
Jeff Nelson
1953 3600