Re: [oletrucks] Rust "converter"

To: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rust "converter"
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:50:25 -0700

>I don't believe in that stuff. I use phosphoric acid which removes the rust
>and leaves a phosphate coating. This does not seal it; it has to be
>topcoated.

I've had good luck with rust converters.  Especially for hidden places that
soak up moisture.  I replaced vent window molding in a buick on one side
only, and applied the rust converter while the window was out.  The molding
I used was made from several pieces, since at the time there was nothing
available for that application.

A few years later the correct molding was reproduced, so I took out both
sides.  The side I had treated still had a nice coating with no rust, but
the other side looked ugly.

You don't have to apply it to rust.  You can use it as a prophylactic over
clean steel or iron.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)