Re: [oletrucks] Re: 1946 Chev 3/4 ton

To: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: 1946 Chev 3/4 ton
From: "W&D" <haist@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 14:46:26 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>; "W&D"
<haist@jps.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2000 5:20 AM

> My first question on the '46.  How do I get the battery out?

The Chevrolet design boys weren't thinking of the servive people on this
one.  You have to remove the floorboard (8-10 1/4" flat head machine screws)
before you remove the battery from the top side.

> Whitney, I have had my '48 for some time.  I >never ever thought that I
would
> get another truck. Do both your 46's run?  Stock?

Both my '46 I acquired as non-ops.  One I restored to VCCA show specs (see
my web site) and the other runs with a '57 235 and a power glide rear end.
It's "ristic" in appearance with a coat of primer.

> My next thing is to make the '46 a little easier to  > drive.  Maybe
change the differential gearing.

A Patrick's gear set would be a great addition to any old Art Deco to be
used as a driver on the highway.

>Maybe put better brakes on the front.

I can't complain about well adjusted huck brakes, myself.

>Also, can I (do I want to) soften the ride a little?

For a softer, smoother and quieter  ride, I have a '98 Dodge Ram.  The
problem with IT is I can't crank the windshield open to let the breeze come
in!  Also, complete strangers don't smile and wave to me in the Ram like
they do in the ol' Chev!!

Happy truckin'
<><
Whitney Haist