Re: [oletrucks] Re: 1946 Chev 3/4 ton

To: mlrba@texas.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net, HMills16@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: 1946 Chev 3/4 ton
From: "Jim House" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:08:39 EDT
Mike,
I have a 46 1/2 ton (made in 45) with war surplus.

When I purchased my truck I loved the grill of the 41-46 so that is what I
got.  I knew nonthing about anything (1 year ago).  Well I got a few books a
few catalogs and this list and started my search.  I found a truck after a
year and once I got it I proved I new nothing!  Well now it is getting
better but it takes time and a great list like this one.  The best thing you
can do is get to much information.  I started a file system and now it fills
two drawers of a filing cabinet.
It is very hard to find parts and info for the 41-46 the 47+ have it made! -
I think this is buried deep enough that it should keep out of trouble on the
list!!!

WIPER
My vacuum wipers work the same way.  Push in to move from right to left and
pull out to move from left to right.  The second button can be rolled in to
control the speed that the wiper moves - the more in the slower the wiper
moves.  Now with that all being said - it could be just the reverse -
left/right or right/left slower in/out - but you get the idea - that the way
it was made.
PARTS/CATALOGS
I have had good success ordering from a number of places:
Order all of there catalogs - most will send free with a phone call and tell
them you just bought a truck and need many parts!
BEST - Jeff McCoy Bowtie Bits - 1 888 838 6887
BETTER - Jim Carter (there is a rep on the list for a 10% discount)
call 1 800 862 1913
BETTER - American Classic Truck Parts (BEST ONLINE SITE FOR PARTS)
www.americanclassic.com - 940 365 9786
OK - Chevs of the 40's - I have to return most of my last 2 orders since the
parts were junky! (BEST CATALOG)1 800 999 2438
GOOD CATALOGS NEVER ORDERED
Obsolete Chevrolet Parts 1 800 248 8785
Classic Chevrolet Parts 1 800 354 4040
The Filling Station 1 800 841 6622

SHOCKS
The shocks on my 1/2 ton are single action the double action (working both
up and down) were only on cars of this time.  I have found that if you fill
the shocks with oil they for the most part will start working again.  I can
not find any rebuild kits for these.  However I have found people who will
rebuild mine for over $100 each.  Well needless to say - no thanks.  I did
get a GREAT used shock from Jeff at Bowtie for $10.00.  I am still having
trouble getting the bushing placed in the links - I purchased new ones and
can not figure out how to get the installed.  I think to to this I will need
to take them to the machine shop and get them pressed in.  I have asked on
the list a few times but no one has come back with an answer that works.  I
think that the strong answer man is still in San Franscio?  Bob - how was
it???

I see that most of the rest of your question was answered.  If you need more
help just ask - you may know more that I do but I will be glade to share my
experiences....

Jim House
Hollis, NH - yes I have seen the snow!!! - oh boy Boy Scout camping this
weekend in the Mountains....