Re: [oletrucks] Re: 1946 Chev 3/4 ton

To: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: 1946 Chev 3/4 ton
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:25:37 -0500
1. The axle leak is most probably a rear axle seal that has worn out.  I
think that year was probably cork, new would probably be neoprene rubber.
2. I could be funny here & tell you that you just need to keep pushing the
switch back & forth until it stops raining, but seriously, the list has
mentioned a New York vacuum wiper rebuilder b4-look in the archives or
someone else may recall from memory easier than I can & post soon.
3. Buy parts at some of the AD vendors, several also handle Art Deco parts
too. (Jim Carter, Chev's of the 40's, etc.)
4. 45mph is the fastest I've seen 3/4 ton AD truck owners say that they are
comfortable with, as a top speed.  Some have talked about changing the rear
diffs. out & I have also seen reference to vendor supplying higher gear
ratio ring & pinion sets (again, don't remember the vendor, sorry-but I do
remember they are $375+).
5. I use straight 30w in the winter & 40w in the summer (TX-gets kind of hot
here).  I use the latest rated detergent oil.
6 Ah, shocks.  I have a set of four from a 1949 ½ ton including the vertical
connecting arms.  I don't know if the 3/4 tons used the same shocks (there
were single action & optional dual action versions for ½ tons), but I think
the lever arm shocks that were used on the Art Deco series trucks & same
year cars were the same part numbers as those used on the AD trucks until
1950, when they went to "aircraft" tube type shocks.  I tried to rebuild
them years ago, but couldn't find anyone or any parts to do it.  Now, I see
Jim Carter has rebuild kits & rebuilt shocks (although, requires exchange, I
think).  Ping me off the list if you can determine that these would work for
you & we can work something out.
7. I have seen repro knurls (includes full assembly) for AD trucks, look to
the same vendors for Art Deco assemblies.

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX