Re: [oletrucks] Paint info

To: tcape@weblnk.net (tcape)
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Paint info
From: Tom3600@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:31:46 -0500 (EST)
Tom -

Just a couple of comments/suggestions.

When ever you put on multiple coats of enamel try to do them all within
an 8 hr period and of course do not sand between coats.  With many types
of finishes you can run into problems  with a second or third coat
attacking the existing partially dry coats causing lifting and
wrinkling.  This can also occur when you put a clear finish over a "dry"
enamel.  Many clear finishes have strong solvent in them that will cause
this wrinkling.  (This is what happens when a lacquer is put over an
enamel)  In most cases this can be avoided by putting on the clear
finish within the 8 hrs or after 96 hrs.  It appears that you are doing
everything right as far as cleaning solvent, primer, sanding, and
topcoat/clear finish.  You must have a very high gloss using this
method.
 If you intend to use a clear finish on the main body of your truck you
must get one that has UVA in it.  This is a ultraviolet blocker to help
block out the ultraviolet rays from the sun which is the cause of loss
of gloss and yellowing.  Pigmented finishes do not require this but all
the new car urethane finishes contain UVA because of the
basecoat/clearcoat method that they use.

If you or anyone out there is contemplating spraying urethane on their
trucks be VERY careful to follow all the instructions for the proper
handling of the catalyst and the proper air makeup/hood and exhaust
required.  Urethane catalysts are very toxic and so is the mixed paint
when it is atomized when using a spraygun.  It is best left to the pros
at a good bodyshop.

Tom

Tom Poterack
Moline, IL.