Re: [oletrucks] Motor oil

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Motor oil
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:07:53
Bob,

Whatdhey is CAFE?  Something something fuel injection?

New cars specify 5w30 partially to get
>better fuel economy to enhance their CAFE.

Also since we are on the oil subject, where can a person go to research the
different oil additives that are available these days?  Some say that teflon
(PTFE) is better than sliced bread and others say that it's crap because it
clogs up your oil filter.  At the stock show one year there was this guy
that had SFR (Silicon Friction Reducer).  He would monitor the current draw
of an electric motor as weight was added to a fulcrum attached to a bearing
lubricated with one ounce of YOUR oil.  He would add weight until the
bearing seized.  Of course the current draw increased until the bearing
seized.  Then he add two drops of his special juice to the oil and started
the motor again and the current draw was way down using the same amount of
weight that seized the regular oil bearing (I think 10 pounds).  Then he
adds 5X the weight and the bearing wouldn't seize.  Eventually the oil
starts on fire but the bearing never seizes.  This additive isn't cheap
either.  As I remember it cost over $100 a gallon but you only use 2oz. per
quart each time you change the oil.

Is this stuff a 'Smoke and Mirrors' trick or is there something that will
really help the ole engine reduce friction and last forever?  Slick 50 is
one that comes to mind as well as the stuff that Mario Andretti endorses.
There is some other stuff that is always on an infomertial at 0300.  I sure
wish that I could remember the names of this stuff but it is 0405 now and I
am supposed to be working but I'm not and none of these no loads sitting
around me know anything either.  I'll remember the names about 2 seconds
after I hit 'send'. No wait there is life in one here.  He just said Z Max,
and Prolong and ER (Energy Release) and of course STP.  Vacuum cleaner
salespeople have a trick that involves a bowling ball but it looks
impressive until you learn that YOU can hold up a bowling ball by sucking on
a straw.  Any worthwhile comments from the list (about oil additives not
sucking on bowling balls)?

Durwood
51 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window