Re: [oletrucks] Motor oil

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Motor oil
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:36:21 -0600 (CST)
I don't know what the hassle is about winter oil in these old trucks.  Back
when they weren't such ole trucks, we used SAE 10 in the winter and 20 or
30 in the summer in Northern Minnesota.  It seemed to work just fine back
then in some real hard use.  The big reason for 10 was so that one of those
6V starters could turn the thing over when it was 40 below.

The other trick we used to use before the days of block heaters (we called
them head bolt heaters in those days because they replaced a headbolt) was
a pan of lit charcoal under the engine for a half hour or so to pre warm it.

By the way, if they were anywhere in tune, the Chevys were much better
starters in real cold weather than the Fords at the mine.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN