Re: [oletrucks] Re: Air Compressor

To: foghorn@ev1.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Air Compressor
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:23:16
NHJim,

I have the horizontal version Sears compressor and it isn't going to be big
enough for your needs.  Been there, done that.  I wish that I had added
another $100 to my compressor budget and bought one with more CFM and maybe
a bigger tank but then again you won't need one big enough to run an
automotive garage and drive yourself into bankruptcy and deprive your family
of food for a few weeks.  Tim Slesak speaks the truth and is wise beyond his
years.  Heed his advice.  Bigger is better.  BTW, I just got 4 rims sand
blasted and powder coated for $40.00 each.

>I hate to burst your bubble Jim, but I'm afraid that the compressor
>you're>looking at will be a little small for what you intend to do.  I have
>had>several compressors over the years including several from Sears.  As
>a>matter of fact, I still have an old three horse 120v portable Craftsman
>that>I use around the house quite a bit.  It is good for powering most air
>tools,>blowing up tires, some light paint spraying (not HVLP) and such.  I
>tried to>do sandblasting and painting cars with it, but I found that it
>just wouldn't>keep up.  I finally broke down and bought a re-conditioned
>Devilbis 20 CFM>6HP 240v with an 80-gallon tank.  I got it at Home Depot on
>closeout last>year for $500.00.  It works fine, but for sandblasting, it is
>about as small
>as I would want.  I could easily have gone much larger with an Ingersol
>Rand>that puts out about 28 CFM, for about $1500.00, but I figured that for
>my>home work shop, it was more than I needed.
>
>>Another thing you want to stay away from is the oil-less compressor, like
>>so>many of the newer ones are.  They simply do not last.  Get a piston
>>type
>with a cast iron cylinder, and it will last for years
My advice to you is to look at the Campbell Housefield 60 gallon 6 HP
>compressors with the 60-gallon tank that puts out around 11.0 CFM at 90
>lbs.
>These are available all over the place for around $300.00.  They have a
>two-cylinder cast iron compressor, and an upright design.   It still is
>a>little small for sandblasting, but if you're not doing big pieces, and
>you>go slowly, it can still get the job done.  It is a good compromise for
>the
>home workshop without breaking the bank, and should give you years of
>trouble free service.

Durwood
51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window