Re: [oletrucks] Front wheel bearings 51 AD

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front wheel bearings 51 AD
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:15:54 -0700
I'm curious as to why you say the tapered bearings will provide better
lateral support/stability.  I remember an email a few years back from Bob
Adler saying the ball bearings were better if the front axle was stock, but
can't remember why -- perhaps I am remembering wrong.  Is yours?  I used the
stock ball bearings in my '50 and have been very happy with their
performance and I cruise on the hwy up to 80 mph (thanks to Patrick's 3.55
ratio).  The truck is very solid cornering.  I can maybe see where tapered
bearings might be a good idea for disk brakes, but don't have any hard
evidence to back that up.

Keep looking around for your part numbers.  I've seen them published here
and there -- in fact, you might check the archives as this subject has
arisen a couple of times before.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100