Re: [oletrucks] Quick steering column question

To: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Quick steering column question
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 11:30:08 -0400
Ryan,
    The steering gear in the box and the shaft up to the wheel is a
complete solid piece and doesn't come apart at the box. I had to removed
the bolts holding it to the frame and disconnect all inside the cab and
slid it out the bottom. You'll pull the entire column out through the
floorboard.. This is what I did to get mine out and rebuilt the box. There
a plate on the floorboard you'll have to remove as well as the column drop.
You'll have to jack the truck up a little to get at an angle where it'll
come out.  Good luck--wayne

At 10:40 AM 6/8/02 -0400, BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1) wrote:
>Getting ready to lift my cab, and have one question about the stock steering
>column:
>
>How does the stock (3 on-the-column originally, I think) steering column
>separate from the old steering box on the frame?  Do I just yank it apart?
>If I had to guess, I'd guess it comes apart at the arrow in this pic:
>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/column.jpg
>
>Correct?  Are there any special tricks I should know about?
>
>Thanks-
>Ryan.

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup