Re: [oletrucks] Opinions

To: "trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Opinions
From: "Ryan Langford" <rlangford@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:46:49 -0700
> Well, to sum it all up, I got the latest bill in and it had lots of
> bodywork that I feel was within the realm of the stuff I didn't ask for.
> I'm willing to pay the bill as the work was done, but then again I
> specifically asked them no to do this type of work. I'd hope me and the
> owner could come to an agreement and have some of the labor removed (I'd
> be willing to pay for the supplies). If not and I have to pay it all, I
> might just have to pull out of the shop and do the rest myself (its very
> near finished).

Well, as far as what is legal, they can't hold the bill to you.  They have
to AT THE LEAST have a verbal estimate and acceptance (and
documented!) before they can legally charge for any labor/supplies/anything.
Then, if they did have an agreed apon estimate with you for a specific
job, they can't exceed the estimate by 10%.  Considering you specifically
asked them not to do the work, I assume they never gave you an estimate
for it, or got verbal go ahead from you.

In a courtroom, they would be forced to give you the cab as
is for no charge on the body work.

Courtroom aside, no one likes doing that, and a negotiation with
the boss to make everyone at least settled would be better.  But
just keep in mind, he can't force you.  I just hope he doesn't decide
to take a grinder to the cab to "take back his work".  That, also,
would be illegal, but I doubt you'd get any return on that case.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
rlangford@attbi.com