[oletrucks] 53 1-ton panel ideas and questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 53 1-ton panel ideas and questions
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:43:18 -0600
My wife and I are trying to decide how  to configure and
rework our newly purchased 53 1-ton panel.

We plan to be able to use it for towing a 24' enclosed race
trailer over moderate (200 miles) to long (2000) mile trips.

What we currently have in mind is the following,

1) Change to a small block V8 reworked with towing in mind

2) Leave the ride hight as it currently is, which is stock with
16" wheels (which I don't believe are stock).  We like the
looks as it sits now.

3) Not sure which automatic transmission to use but possibly
one with overdrive.  I don't know much about chevy
transmissions so this will need some research.

4) Change to power brakes located down on the frame rail.

5) Either change the rear axle to a more modern unit from a
1-ton or change the ring and pinion to something more
suitable for todays highway speeds, again keeping in mind
that we'll be towing a trailer.  Are there different ratios
available for the 53 1-ton rear end?

6) Change the suspension to a 3/4 ton chevy truck front
suspension allowing us have power steering while keeping
the 8 lug wheels and still get the larger truck disk brakes.
Also this should provide a somewhat better ride.  I've found
someone locally that does these conversions for a living and
does very nice work.

7) Not sure what to do about the stock rear brakes.  Possibly
there is some conversion out there to a better drum brake
setup, or better yet are the stock rear brakes good brakes?

8) Not sure what to do about the steering wheel/column.  We
would kind of like to keep the stock look in that area but will
look at all possibilities here.

9) Add A/C using one of the uder dash kits being sold today.
Will lilkely have to add an evaporator in the rear as well,
considering how long this panel is.

10) Dual frame mounted gas tanks to increase the capacity
to around 35 gallons or so.

Hope all this makes sense....!

Brad
1953 1-ton panel (texas)