[oletrucks] poor running engine

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] poor running engine
From: "Bruce Marshall" <k1aj@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:51:13 -0500
Symptoms:

The truck starts and idles well to begin with.  After I bring the engine up
to temperature (180 degrees) I start down the street and everything is
working great.  Choke is pushed "in" all the way to the "off" position.
After about one mile the engine suddenly sputters and bogs down while going
thru the low end of each gear.  If I really give the truck the gas it
accelerates great and the engine runs smoothly with no hesitation or
misfiring.  If I pull the choke out all the way, engine idle speed increase
and the problem goes away.  Even at, say, 45 MPH the engine won't run
smoothly unless I pull the choke out all the way, but under load everything
is "zoomerie"!

What I have checked:

Timing is OK.
Point gap is OK.
Plugs aren't oily or sooty...they look normal.
Replaced the ignition coil.  No change.
Checked ignition wires...good spark.
Checked for vacuum leaks.
Cleaned carb with some carb cleaner.