Re: [oletrucks] front disc brakes

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] front disc brakes
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:31:30 -0700
> An even dumber question---would a stock master cylinder be able to push
> enough fluid for a non power front disk brake setup or would a new master
> cylinder have to be installed also. Since redoing my rear end and finally
> getting it under the truck, got different bolt pattern now (front to rear)
> and want to get the same all way around. Gonna have to get new
> wheels--finally be able to rid myself of the polished aluminum ones, kinda
> like a black vehicle-they look good when cleaned but its a job...  Just
> wandering if I could use the stock master cylinder, install a proportioning
> valve, and use the front disc brake kit that are available to match the
> bolt pattern. This way I can buy new wheels--the same all the way
> around.....   --wayne

I got a master cylinder adapter from Chevy Duty to put a dual disk brake
type master cylinder on my 57 Suburban I'm building.  I have not
finished building the truck, so I don't know how it works.

One issue with disk brakes is that as the brake pads wear, fluid
accumulates in the calipers, so the level in the master cylinder goes
down.  The stock master cylinder may or may not hold enough fluid to
allow for worn out brake pads...but this is probably not a concern for
you, since you check the brake fluid level every few months out of habit  :)

Another concern is the residual pressure valve in the master cylinder,
which is needed for drum brakes.  This may result in the disk brakes
staying applied a little bit when you release the brake pedal, which can
possibly overheat the brakes.

I've driven my 55 Belair about 40k miles with front disks and rear
drums, and no power booster.  Doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, it
takes the same or less pedal effort than my drum brake trucks to get
stopped.  Also, a friend of mine has a 69 Vette with 4 wheel disk
brakes, no power booster, and he has no problem stopping it.  I think
power boosters are overrated, or maybe folks have weak legs, because I
get along fine with manual brakes.  Or maybe it's because I've been
driving oletrucks for 25 years?

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!