[oletrucks] 56 Chevy Frame Painting

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 56 Chevy Frame Painting
From: Tom3600@webtv.net (Toms OLTRUK Z49)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:02:05 -0400
To answer your first question I believe that 56 Chevy frames were black
semi-gloss from the factory.

To answer your question about comparing
Rustoleum to Por 15 ..... you can't compare them.   Por 15 is
specifically formulated for use over oxidized (rusty) steel. It has
chemicals which combines with and neutralizes the iron oxide (rust)
preventing further rusting. It also has a resin that becomes extremely
hard when it is cured when exposed to the air and humidity.

Rustoleum is the "brand name" of a line of paint products. These regular
Rustoleum paints are no different than any other good quality enamel on
the market. Rustoleum does sell a "Rusty Metal Primer" which contains
fish oil that helps penetrate existing surface rust.   This primer is
NOT recommended for use over clean non-rusty metal because the fish oil
can migrate to the surface and prevent proper topcoat adhesion.

ANY quality paint company (DuPont, PPG, SWP, etc.) can supply you with a
"rust inhibitive" enamel in black semi-gloss or high gloss that is equal
to or better than Rustoleum.

If you have cleaned all the grease and loose rust scale off from the
frame, then I would recommend using a red or gray oxide rust inhibitive
primer followed by a black semi-gloss enamel topcoat as the least
expensive and most effective method.   If you have a lot of heavy rust
that can't be removed (and extra expendible cash) than I would recommend
Por 15.

I spent over 40 yrs in the paint and industrial coatings industry. I
always got a smile when someone said that "Rustoleum" stopped rust.
Rustoleum is no more than a "brand name" when it comes to their enamel
paint.   The "fish oil" added to their primer has dubious rust
preventive qualities at best.

Tom
1949 Chevy Z49
http://community.webtv.net/TOMPOT/TOMS1949CHEVYPICKUP

Date:    Tue, Apr 6, 2004, 3:02pm From:    Pattie1tom@aol.com
To:    oletrucks@autox.team.net Subject:    [oletrucks] 56 Chevy
Frame Painting X-AOL-IP:
Hello
Well my 56 Chevy is stripped down to the frame. The plan is to de-rust
the frame and paint. I have two quick questions:
1) what is the proper frame color for a 56
2) what type of paint is best to use (i.e. por-15, zero-rust or waht
about rustoleum) (this may open some bantering on the subject but just
tying to be cost effective)
If the frame is stripped down to bare metal, primed and top coated, why
not use rustoleum. I am in Florida and will not be picking up too much
salt of the roads.
Any thought will be greatful.
Cheers,
Tom