RE: [oletrucks] sandblaster questions

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] sandblaster questions
From: "Will & Merrisa Nelle" <wmnelle@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:33:20 -0600
Thank each of you for the comments and suggestions on sandblasters.  I
guess while were talking about it, I'll go ahead and give my comments on
bead blast cabinets for anyone who is considering one of those.

I purchased one from Harbor Freight nearly six months ago. I did it
against my better judgment because I couldn't bring myself to pay more
than $100 for something not much more than a metal box.  Too, I figured,
"how can you screw up turning out a tool that is so simple?".  Now that
I own it however, I wish I spent the extra dollars to get a better
quality one.  Deve made the comment to me that you shouldn't buy Harbor
Freight unless you are prepared to spend more money (and a substantial
amount at that) getting the tool into working condition, I couldn't
agree more.  Never-the-less, I have worked out the kinks, so it performs
OK.  As many have mentioned, dry air is utmost importance, so is sand
that is free of large debris.  I have used (expensive) glass bead, which
comes clean and free of large debris.  It blasts paint and rust off
indeed, but is one of the gentler medias, meaning that is slower.  I
have also used fine silica sand (as found at most hardware stores),
which I have sifted with window screen.  It is by far a faster cutting
media, and my choice now on almost all pieces.

My air compressor is a medium capacity model.  The unit puts out 13.5
SCFM @ 90 PSI, the tanks is 80 GAL.  I'm very satisfied with it.  The
thing runs the blast cabinet fine, and any of the other air tools I own
alright as well.  I suspect for much larger cabinet though, or a
pressurized, portable sandblaster the compressor will be nearing its
limit.  This is fine really as I will do those jobs so infrequently that
I couldn't justify buying a larger compressor based on those conditions.
For the larger jobs, I will borrow a another compressor and put the two
in parallel.  If you're in the market for a compressor, watch Campbell
Hausfeld's website (www.chpower.com) as they frequently offer
refurbished tools which come with a new warranty.  This is how I
purchased mine, which was priced at 60% of the exact same model in
Lowe's.  I find that Campbell Hausfeld makes well built, durable
compressors.  I expect that this will last beyond my days

On another note, my truck ran for the first time in nearly 10 years.
I've been working (slowly) for the past three months on getting it back
into running condition, and today came the moment of truth.  A small
spill of gas in the carb, and the ol girl fired right up.  What a
wonderful sound!  Nothing sweeter sounding than an ol six running, o so
smooth.  Hadn't smiled so big in some time.  It feels real good to hit a
high point, kind of a nice refresher for the long hours working with no
"real" award.  This will certainly push me on (faster) to getting her in
driving shape.  Those of you slaving away at a running or driving truck,
press on!  The day will come, and you'll know it was worth it.

Will Nelle
Longview, TX
'51 & '53 Chevy 3600