RE: [oletrucks] Exhaust - H-Pipe & Mufflers

To: tenisguy@gte.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Exhaust - H-Pipe & Mufflers
From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 06:04:14 +0000
H pipes are used for tone control, they balance the backpressure. the
location is figured out by locating the hotest point on the header pipe and
installing the crossover there. it is usually located a ft or so back, right
about mid-point of the tranny. most people just put them right behind the
trans. an easy way is to use an X pipe.
Summit has a racing/street muffler for half the price of the Flowmaster. we
put them on my sons elcamino sound is nice and mellow until you stomp on it.
glass packs have a definite sound, tinney to me. but very old school.
limited life on the glass packing
i installed the Summit mufflers on my apache, last year, haven't got to hear
them yet.
you should weld your exhaust system with minimal slip joints like behind the
mufflers or use header flanges and bolt the joints together. my truck is 1
piece welded, dumping down in front of the rearend. legal since they end
past the passenger compartment. use a hole saw to cut for the H pipe and
weld everything together.

Kurt
58 3100 Apache project
the "Duracell Project" it keeps going... and going...

>From: Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net>
>To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: [oletrucks] Exhaust - H-Pipe & Mufflers
>Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:38:59 -0500
>
>While I have the cab off of my frame and have easy access, I thought it
>would be a good time to install the exhaust, but two questions have come
>up.  First, what do you guys think about an H-pipe (or balance pipe)?  I
>have a 350 engine with headers, and I am going to run dual exhaust.  In
>searching the internet, H-pipes seem really common on Mustangs, but
>otherwise I haven't found much other than manufacturers and retailers
>advising that you really should have an H-pipe with a dual exhaust.  I've
>found universal H-pipe kits from Summit and Jegs for $32, but is it worth
>it?
>
>Secondly, what about the mufflers?  I'd like my truck to sound cool, but
>not annoyingly loud inside.  I think I like the sound of the Flowmaster 50
>series, but are they really $80 better than the (Dynomax) Thrush Turbo
>mufflers I can get from the local auto parts store for $20?  Any
>recommendations or comments on whether I should get two Thrush Turbos for
>$40 or two Flowmasters for $200?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark
>1950 Chevy 3100

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and morethen map the best
route!  http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001