[oletrucks] 58 Panel Update

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 58 Panel Update
From: KremerRAK@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:23:40 EST
Lots of good advice was received from this list regarding starting a 58 235
6 cylinder that has not been turned on since 1966.  A mixture of kerosene
(75%) and brake fluid (25%) was poured into the spark plug holes and all over
the valve train.  After waiting several days, the motor turned freely by  hand.

New points and condenser were next.  Replaced the oil filter  (hard to find
the right canister) and changed the oil.  Disconnected the  fuel feed line to
the carburetor and replaced it with a bottle of gas (gravity  feed).  The beast
actually started, ran under its own power for a second  and stopped.  She
wouldn't start again.  Tried coaxing her with  starter fluid and setting the
choke all over the range.

Although all of this was fun, it would be all that much better if she
actually ran.  Here comes the question.  What should I do next?   Should I
assume
that I am getting spark since it started and rebuild the  carb?  Or, should I
address the electrical system?  Any and all help  is always greatly
appreciated.
 I am willing to address just about any  problem but I do not know where to
start.

Thanks again.  I will keep you posted.

Rick Kremer
54 5 window under construction
58 panel trying to decide if I should keep