Air Compressor

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Air Compressor
From: Brian Haskett <haskett@applink.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 20:01:34 -0600 (CST)
The air compressor that was on loan to me has been returned to its owner,
and I am now in the market to buy one.  I was looking at the
Campbell-Hausfield 6HP 60 gallon upright for just under $400.  It's rated
at 10 SCFM at 90 PSI.  The price is right about at the limit of my budget,
so it looks like a good choice for me.  After talking to my neighbor
today, though, I am not so sure that its the right thing to do.  He
pointed out that it's very inefficient because it takes 6 HP to only
deliver 10 SCFM @ 90PSI.  The two-stage compressors (which cost twice as
much) deliver a lot more SCFM with less horsepower, so he argues that the
the one that I am looking at will cost me a lot more money in the long run
because of the increased electric bill.

Opinions ?

BTW- I will be using the compressor for automobile restoration  and
household use.  I figure the 6HP unit will handle everything except
sandblasting.  Is this reasonable ?

-thanks
Brian
Keller, TX