Re: metal brake line replacement

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement
From: htobin@foxboro.com (Herb S. Tobin)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 16:46:07 -0500

On Mon. March 17, Ray Gibbons suggested that bubble flares were used on
his 37 year old Bugeye Sprite.

I believe he may be confusing double flares and bubble flares.

Without pretending expertise in this matter, I think that so called bubble
flares have only been used on relatively late, i.e. 10-15 year old, European
cars. Of course I am not suggesting that the Sprite is not European, but my
guess would be that Sprite brake hoses are inch sizes rather than metric.

My Snap-on catalog, which is a few years old now, lists three different sets
for producing double flares, and only one for bubble flares and the bubble
flare set is for metric sizes only.

Can anyone enlighten us on the use of bubble versus double flares?

Herb Tobin