Re: metal brake line replacement

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement
From: Bob Douglas <b-douglas@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:57:14 -0800
Thanks for all the responses to the original questions.  It looks like I'll be
chasing down leads for the rest of the week.

My understanding on the various fittings (so far) is:

Double flare - Common on U.S. autos, sized in inches.  However, suspect newer
U.S. models have adopted the ISO flare.  Tools readily available for about $25.

Bubble flare - Also called ISO type, sized in mm.  Apparently these are quite a
bit tougher to make (without splitting the line) than the double flare.  Tools
a bit less common in the U.S., but are available at about twice the cost of the
double flare tool.  The current Eastwood catalog includes line drawings of the
double and ISO flares.

Girling flare - Very much like the ISO flare, though probably not sized in mm
since these were used on '60's Triumphs, Healys, Sunbeams, MGs, etc.
Apparently the ISO flaring tool will work.

AN fittings - Uses single 37 degree flare.  Apparently superior to double flare
where lines are expected to be disconnected and reconnected after the initial
installation. Adapters used to avoid mixing AN with the more typical 45 degree
flares/fittings.

The car I am working on is a '62 Sunbeam Alpine. So I'll probably stick with
the Girling/bubble type flaring.

How about worries over old metal lines failing?
Cases of this actually happening seem pretty rare.  But the majority of replies
appeared to think very old lines ought to be replaced and, in fact, many have
done so.  Mine are both old and ugly, so I've been convinced swapping them out
is the way to go.

Which metal line material to use?
There was not much support for stainless.  I was a bit surprised by this. The
gist was you wouldn't gain enough to offset the additional cost and poorer
workability.  There were 3 or 4 options that I'll be checking into this week.
The one I currently like the best is custom cut coiled line with fittings
attached.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,  Bob Douglas