Re: metal brake line replacement

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement
From: rwelty@wizvax.net
Date: 17 Mar 1997 22:40:32 -0000
*I was going to resist, but I can't any longer - if you care about
*reliability in your braking system, rather than originality,
*and are going through the trouble to replace everything ... replace
*all the fittings you can with single flare AN fittings.

it's what i did in the IT car.  the key issue in such conversions
is:

don't ever, ever, ever confuse a 45 degree automotive flare with
a 37 degree AN flare; use appropriate adapters to switch systems.
"just cranking the nut down hard" may get a mismatch to seal, but
it probably won't seal, and if it does, it probably won't hold up for
any length of time.

having completely replumbed the brakes in the Alfetta, i have a very
high degree of confidence in the system. the only question marks
are the calipers (both of the rears are going to be replaced this spring)
and the master cylinder (i've already had to do one swap, but the "new"
one is from my wonderful supplier, NFG Used Auto Parts, and i don't expect
exceptional life from it.)

cheers,
  richard