Re: metal brake line replacement

To: htobin@foxboro.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:58:29 -0800
Girling flares as used on older British cars are very similar to what
are currently known as bubble flares. You can use a bubble flaring
tool to make the ends for Girling fittings. You can also use
a double flaring tool to do so - just don't complete the second
half of the flare.

I was going to resist, but I can't any longer - if you care about
reliability in your braking system, rather than originality,
and are going through the trouble to replace everything ... replace
all the fittings you can with single flare AN fittings.

I don't have time at the moment, but I will dig up a long and
detailed rant about the whys and wherefores of this claims.
Basically, the AN system is designed for long life and many
make-break cycles - the double flare system is designed to produce
a reasonably high expectation of sealing the first time, with
no thoughts to make-break cycles. The double flare is
a liability, and the design is such that it weakens every
time you remake the seal.

More later, probably tonight.