Re: Broken Stud

To: SHOP TALK <SHOP-TALK@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Broken Stud
From: Bruce Wentzel <GreenDot@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 03:42:00 -0500
Eric Murray wrote:

>>I have also used a type of extractor made by Rigid which uses rods
with sharp splines on the outside.  You drill a specific-sized
hole in the bolt, then tap the rod in, then slide a collar over
the rod that engages with the splines and has a hex on the outside
so you can turn it.  These are great because the rods aren't nearly
as hard as easy-outs so they don't break (they'll bend first).
Also they get a lot of contact inside the hole, for better grip
on the bolt.<<

I have a set of these also that belonged to my father and on the really
tough to remove stuff they have turned to pretzels and the stud stayed
where it was.

Bruce