Re: Broken Stud...

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Broken Stud...
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 05:39:38 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Dunst, Mordecai wrote:

>      1/2" (long) stud broken in block--3/8" proud of the deck.   Any
>      suggestions.

I have had success removing broken studs by welding a nut to the end and
using a wrench to back it out.  You can get a much better grip on it with
a wrench than with vice grips.  I always apply a LOT of heat to the parent
material prior to backing it out.

If it breaks of flush or below the surface, try left hand drill bits to
drill it out.  Often the stud will back out as you drill, but you might
have to drill in stages to get it to break loose.

It's been my experience that easy outs have a very poor success rate.

Martin Scarr