Re: Broken Stud...

To: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Subject: Re: Broken Stud...
From: Bob Bownes <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:56:26 -0500
Martin Scarr wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Dunst, Mordecai wrote:
> >
> >      1/2" (long) stud broken in block--3/8" proud of the deck.   Any
> >      suggestions.
> >
> I have had success removing broken studs by welding a nut to the end and
> using a wrench to back it out.  You can get a much better grip on it with
> a wrench than with vice grips.  I always apply a LOT of heat to the parent
> material prior to backing it out.

Welding to it also helps to break and corrosion/stick up....

In my humble experience, the tricky part in drilling out broken
bolts/studs/bleeders is in getting the hole centered. Grinding the top
flat is great in the 10% of cases where the break stands proud. 90%
of the time however, it seems that the break is below the surface and in
place impossible (umoglich!) to get a bit in a drill press into...

Bob