Re: Broken Stud...

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Broken Stud...
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 97 08:40:16 CST
>In my humble experience, the tricky part in drilling out broken
>bolts/studs/bleeders is in getting the hole centered.

As Bob mentioned above, that is a trick:

I have a small BALL END dremel bit. Only a 1/8" diameter,
but with a steady hand seem to be able to get a "dimple"
into the offending bolt. Once dimpled, my reverse twist
drill bit works great... with the heat (from drilling)
and vibration from the drill I have had about 50% of the
offending bits spin right out of the hole!

Oh the ones I was not so luck on... like a timing cover
bolt hole, it just went over kill. Pulled and stripped
the engine to get it under the milling machine! (You know
that story, by the time you got into the timing chain
a full engine overhaul is that much more work. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX