Re: Waste Oil Container

To: shop-talk Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Waste Oil Container
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:15:59 -0500
On Dec 30, 2006, at 12:59 PM, Mark wrote:

> This is my first post to the shop talk group.  For years I have
> been putting
> used engine oil back in the gallon jugs that the oil came in but it
> is a
> pain to put it back in the small hole in the plastic jug.  I see
> these 5
> gallon plastic paint pails with lids at Home Depot and Lowe's and
> wonder if
> anybody uses them to collect used oil for recycling?  I sometimes
> keep it in
> the garage for several months before I dump it at the parts store.  I
> wouldn't want the plastic container to dissolve in the garage.

I bought one orange pail from Home Depot for painting, and the
injection point at the bottom leaked. I didn't know it until enough
had leaked out to make a nice mess. I'd stick with pails that have
been tested, i.e. drywall compound (which you can probably get free
from the industry) or 5 gallons of paint. The problem with these is
the force it takes to remove the cover. The 5 gallons of paint
container has a threaded home in top and it's bigger than the one
gallon style.

jim