Re: Waste Oil Container

To: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Waste Oil Container
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:35:29 -0500
Hey! Welcome to shop-talk.

I doubt the paint pails you mention would dissolve from motor oil. If
you got then for free, maybe put one inside another. That way if the
inner pail did leak, you'd have a chance to notice before it ate
through the outer one. Maybe.

I used to use 5 gallon pails that originally held lacquer (for wood
finish). But they get to be messy, though - no vent for air
displacement. If I'd try to pour the old oil in too fast then it'd
burp used oil onto the top of the pail.

Now I use a 5 gallon container intended for kerosene. I wrote "waste
oil" on it with permanent marker.

It's a plastic jug, ~ 2" dia fill and a vent opening. I keep a funnel
made from a 1 gallon plastic oil container in the fill so I can pour
used oil in easily then I put the old filter in the funnel to drain
for a few days. It'll hold 3-4 oil changes worth of oil from my autos.
But when I change the oil in my F250 diesel, that oil goes straight
into a 15 quart oil-change container. It has a central opening to
collect the used oil and then a spout to pour it out into the
recycling tank at the dump, er, I mean the transfer station.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/aap/bli/11838.jpg

Eric Russell
STOC #2860
Mebane, NC