Re: Waste Oil Container

To: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>,<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Waste Oil Container
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:45:09 -0800
At 11:59 AM  12/30/2006  -0600, Mark wrote:
>This is my first post to the shop talk group.  For years I have been putting
>used engine oil back in the gallon jugs that the oil came in but it is a
>pain to put it back in the small hole in the plastic jug.  I see these 5
>gallon plastic paint pails with lids at Home Depot and Lowe's and wonder if
>anybody uses them to collect used oil for recycling?  I sometimes keep it in
>the garage for several months before I dump it at the parts store.  I
>wouldn't want the plastic container to dissolve in the garage.

I have been using two plastic five gallon jugs for about ten years.  I
believe they originally held either motor oil or hydraulic fluid.  I left
the lids on and drilled a couple of 1/4" vent holes in the side opposite
the spout, and one dead center of the lid.  I keep a long funnel in the
spout and dump my used oil in the funnel, and leave the oil filters to
drain on the lid.  When it's full I put the cap back on the spout, stick
golf tees in the vent holes and put it in the back of the truck to take to
the bus shop at work for recycling.  In the meantime, the second bucket
gets the funnel and any other oil I might need to dump.  With a jeep, a
car, a truck, two motorcycles, two tractors, a riding mower and a big
generator, it seems like I'm always changing the oil in something.  Got to
do the truck and the Subaru this week end, in fact.

Dave C