Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] (no subject)
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:40:52 -0700
Dear Gents,

Once a year or so, I have the need to jump in on a thread with the plaintive
plea of "please don't buy cheap tools." Order your stuff from McMaster-Carr,
buy Milwaukee electric, Starrett gauges, Simpsom meters, Wilton vices, etc.
You will never regret it.

I have a set of Rigid pipe dies that are a joy to use. I am a professor of
business -- I am not making my living with these tools, but I truly enjoy
using them in may garage.

I know the non-shop talk folks will buy HF detritus, but if the shop talk
folks buy the same detritus, who will buy the quality tools and assure that
quality tool providers exist?

Buy tools that you enjoy using. Tonight I needed to pull out my 30 year-old
Simpson 260 meter for some measurements -- what a joy to use this precision
instrument.

Life is way too short to use crap tools. You deserve better, boys. HF and
the purveyors of junk tools are a blight on the shop talk community. I wish
they did not exist. If they are successful, they will be you only choice for
tools.

best,

shook
'72 BSA B50SS