Re: [Shop-talk] pipe threader

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pipe threader
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:14:28 -0700
> It will probably work for that much, but not too much more.  My local
> hardware store will thread pipes for not much, if you buy the pipe
> from them.  That would my choice for full lengths of pipe.

I've got an OSH five minutes from my house, and a Home Depot a little
further away.

When we did our remodel and I did the gas pipe in black iron, I would
stop off at OSH in the morning and have the pieces I'd measured at the
end of the previous day called back to the guy in back to cut it, go to
the house and do some water pipe or low-voltage cabling for a couple
hours, go back to OSH and pick up the cut pipe, back to the house and
put that batch in, then do the cycle again later in the day.  Took me
about three days to get all the gas pipe done that way.

The inevitable screw-ups, and the old gas pipe that'd come out of the
house and wasn't worth re-using, ended up after a little hot and
well-oiled holesaw action meeting up with Mr Mig and some steel angle
and turning into ceiling-hung shelf stanchions in the garage and shop.

John.