Re: Boiled the Tank

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Boiled the Tank
From: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 21:27:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi gang -

I have a fuel tank question:  A few times last year, my '73 Midget would
bog and sputter for no apparent reason.  If I stopped and let the car sit
for a few minutes, it would restart and run -- sometimes for a while,
sometimes for only a few hundred yards -- before bogging again.  I thought
points at first, but new points and a once over of the ignition didn't
help.

Purely by accident, I think I stumbled on a clue:  During one of these
struggles, I was passing s a gas station and needed to fill up.  After
filling the tank, the car ran fine.  Since then I have topped off the tank
regularly, and the problem has almost disappeared.

Am I right in suspecting that there may be some kind of crud in the tank
that periodically finds its way to block the flow of fuel?  If so, should I
have the tank professionally tanked, or should I try a homemade technique
liek the one described below?

Thanks in advance, and I hope many of you are able to be out driving in
January.  My poor little Midget is still being held prisoner in the garage!

Dustin Howarth
'73 Midget  'Margo'
Pittsburgh, PA             GO  STEELERS!!!