Re: Boiled the Tank

To: Dustin Howarth <howarth@pulsenet.com>
Subject: Re: Boiled the Tank
From: jphender@soli.inav.net
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 14:33:35 -0600 (CST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Dustin,

Too early to give you a definitive "good" or "bad" as far as my tank's
health is concerned.  You'll be happy to know that you are entitled to my
opinion though!  :-)

I think the main reason for heat is to loosen some of the petroleum-based
residue from the bottom of the tank.  I just added the vinegar hoping it
would help loosen any flaky rust.  What poured out after about 4 hours
looked just like sewage.  This was a tank that had been on the car for 18
years then in my garage for 10 years.

I didn't use Muratic acid because of the brittleness concern.  I'm too
clueless to know what "not too long" is.

After it dried, I shop-vac'd it out (no vapors left after boiling!) I took
a piece of chain and dropped it in and shook it around for 15 minutes to
try and break loose any remnants.  I couldn't detect any.

Just a word of caution though:  The siphon that sucks gas from the bottom
of the tank appeaars to have a plastic component (at least mine does) so
don't let the tank boil dry!

Just to be cautious, I double filtered  the lines.  One at the tank and
one before the carbs.  If I still have trouble with the tank I'll probably
buy new (~$100) because I got mixed reviews when I asked about sloshing
compounds.

Jim Henderson

'69 Sprite MKIV HAN9U78817G