Re: 1275cc bore?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1275cc bore?
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:36:24 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 2:32 AM +0000 4/4/98, Matt Liggett wrote:

>I am having the crank magnaflux'd and ground (if it needs it).  The head
>is already new last year.  I intend to replace the rod bolts as
>insurance.  I'm replacing the oil pump and timing gears/chain because I'm
>in there and they were on sale.

Sounds similar to what I have planned for my rebuild. I also am planning
on a new cam, water pump, rockers, lifters, and radiator.

I'm a little confused as to the order that everything should be done in
though. I need to turn this around as quickly as possible, so the least
amount of back and forth to the machinist is needed. Is this the correct
order?:

1. Pull engine
2. Strip and dismantle engine
3. Bring Machinist Block, crankshaft, camshaft, pistons and rods dismantled
   as much as possible
4. Machinist Hot tanks block, Magnafluxes Block and Crank
5. Machinist takes measurements and decides how much is needed in the way
   of boring and turning crank and lets me know what size pistons and bearings
   to order
6. I order pistons and bearings and bring them to machinist
7. Machinist Bores block, turns crank, presses new pistons on to con rods
   and installs camshaft bearings

8. Here's where it gets foggy, I want the engine dynamically balanced,
   doesn't this mean that the machinist needs to balance the crank, then
   install the bearings, pistons, and rods, and balance that assembly,
   then the machinist installs the flywheel and balances the whole shebang?

Where does the plasti-guage com in? Is it nessasary to balance the whole
crank assembly in an assembled state? Is there anything that I'm missing?
(besides experience ;-)

If anyone has some free time on their hands and feels like replying to this
I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks,

Robert Weeks
Durham NC