Re: Bugeye dual master cylinder removal

To: "David Wood" <dewood@sentex.net>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye dual master cylinder removal
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:57:23 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
David,

You have it about right.  The pushrods and pistons may pop out, but you
first need to remove a cover plate which attaches to the cylinder body with
two small bolts.  This cover plate is the one which has the rubber boots.

If the interior parts do not pop out, try modest external mechanical
stimulation (a hammer) and light heat (after draining the oil of course).
You are going to replace all rubber components so heat should not hurt.

In getting out the parts out, you don't want to do anything to damage the
bores.  If they are relatively unscored, a honing tool (from the store,
mounts on an electric drill) will be enough to save you needing a new
cylinder.  Be careful to note that the brake and clutch bores are different
in one respect:  there's a small valve of some sort in the very back of one
of the bores and not the other, and it needs to go back to the right one.

You're sure going to enjoy bleeding the brake and clutch cylinders, and
there are 9 of them on a Bugeye.  But that's another story.

Daryl