Re: Exhaust Systems - Advice needed

To: "robert weeks" <robert@woozy.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Systems - Advice needed
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:29:05 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Robert!
Modern exhaust systems that are not stainless usually  have an aluminized
coating to prevent rust.  That's probably what you have on the Honda and
Subaru.  I replaced the exhaust system in my Midget in 1988 with the mild
steel long pipe and muffler from Victoria British.  It's still fine after
40,000 miles.  I think the key to preventing quick rust-out in a mild steel
system is to avoid running the engine for short periods.  Doing so will
allow condensation from the cold engine to remain and form acids with
exhaust products.  Naturally, this will rust out the system in a short
time.  Most of the miles I have put on my Midget have been on fairly long
cruises, and the three miles between my house and work seem to be long
enough to heat up the Midget engine, oil,  and exhaust system to operating
temperature.

As a contrast, when I replaced the exhaust system in my Big Healey with a
mild steel system.  it rusted out again within about two years.  The
home-to-work distance is not enough to thoroughly heat up that 600 pound
engine with its seven quarts of oil.  I then went with a stainless system
on that car, and it gives all evidence of lasting forever.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain