Re: Exhaust Systems - Advice needed

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Systems - Advice needed
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:43:59 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
robert weeks wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> What is the group consensus when it comes to exhaust systems? I need
> everything from the LCB header back, so, basically I need the long pipe and
> a muffler. I'd like something that flowed well and that didn't rust out
> after 1 year of use. The long pipe I put on last summer (from Moss) is
> totally rusted and my Monza muffler is on it's way out.

Robert

I found the best pipe by far is a length of 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"  exhaust
pipe from, Midas Muffler shop. Just ask for a length of pipe.
They sell it in 10' lengths and it does not rust.
It is not stainless but must be some sort of aluminum alloy.
I have had this on a couple of LBCs now for up to 6 years, it is still
silver in color. No rust!
I also run a Cherry Bomb (brand name) Muffler on a few Sprites and the
Mini. They last about 10 years and then the insides rust out and they
make a horrible rattling noise. The Cherry bombs are available in 1 3/4"
from any auto store but usually special order. And for about $20.
Total cost of both pieces is about $40, add a few clamps and hangers and
you have a nice sounding exhaust sytem for under $50. (LCB not included)
Midas will also custom bend the little offset in the back of the pipe if
you show them your old one. And if you have it done when you buy the
pipe from them it will be free. At least the last 4 I did didn't cost
anything.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ