Re: Ideas for quicker engine starting?

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ideas for quicker engine starting?
From: "Guy Weller" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 13:23:22 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
John,
 If I don't use my '78 Midget for more than a couple of days I get this
problem.
I think that the cause is that the fuel evaporates (or leaks) out of the
carbs.
Because this engine has a mechanical fuel pump you have to turn the whole
dead engine over just to fill the carbs, - then it fires up.
(This contrasts with the earlier cars that have an electric pump which fills
the carbs as soon as the key is turned, and before the engine has to turn
over.)
I have found that the best way of starting if the car has been unused for a
few days is to turn the engine on the key for 3 or 4 rotations, then wait;
count to 10. Same again.
What happens is that the fuel pump builds up a pressure when the engine is
turning, and fuel goes on flowing to the carbs whilst you "rest" the
electric starter.
Depending how empty the carbs are you may need to repeat that sequence 2 or
3 times, but it is easier on the battery.
You could always fit an electric pump. Turn the key, wait for the pump to
stop clicking, and then spin the motor.

Guy