Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:57:42 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/25/98 12:36:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> wmgilroy@lucent.com writes:
>
> << Hurray! My head finally came off, well not mine but the cars. >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> It might be good to analyze what caused the extreme attraction between your
> head and block.  Is there evidence of gasket cement?  Is this the first time
> the head was removed (that you know of)?  This kind of information may be
> helpful to others on the list who need to replace a head gasket.
>
> TIA
>
> Allen Hefner
> '77 Midget
> '92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Looking at the head gasket, head, and block I could not find any signs
of gasket cement.  The gasket itself appeared to be a metal sandwiched
between a layer of paper (or something like paper).  That stuff was
stuck both to the head and to the block, but more was stuck to the
head.  I know that the last owner never removed the head.  I think
this is the first time the head was off the car, but there is no way
to be sure.  I am the fourth owner of the car, but my NJ title claims
I am the first owner.  Great for the ads in the newspaper when I sell the
Midget :-)  "1 owner, drive only to church on sundays, store for the
last 17 years in a heat garage, etc."

I have no real clue why the thing was stuck so tight, but I did have
all of the hardware removed.  YMMV.

-------
Bill Gilroy
77 Midget