Re: Gas tank pickup tube

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Gas tank pickup tube
From: Rick/Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:42:55 -0700
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Bill,

You are in luck, I just went through this on Puddles my Bug-i.  It was
real strange, I took the tank out and back to the radiator shop.  They
informed me the pick up tube is loose inside the tank.  Yep, it sure
is.  You have to pull the tank again and remove the sending unit.  Look
into the sending unit hole and reach in with a coat hanger to snag the
pick up tube.  You will have to hold the tube down in place while you
torque the fitting on the outside.  It is almost a two man job, but I
did do it by myself.  On mine the outside connection is metal but from
there it is rubber tube.  On a 77 i Believe it is metal so you may have
to pull the tube to the fuel pump and install it on the tank.  Then but
the whole assembly back on the car.

Make sure you have the correct fitting to go in the outside of the
tank.  It should have a large ball type of fitting on the end.  This
fits into the V wedge of the pick up tube.  It holds it real tight.

When you are done check that the P/U tube is tight and not moving.

Good luck

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby