Re: MGF's

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGF's
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:30:04 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Oh good, I was waiting for someone to tell me that my aesthetic sense is
all wrong. Like my wife doesn't do that everyday.

My point was, and please do not agree, when one looks at a Boxster, is
there any doubt that it's a Porsche? Any doubt that the Z3 is a BMW with
heavy teutonic overtones? Any doubt that a 'Vette is a Vette (to use
yourexample)? Any question at all that any of the new Jags carry on a great
tradition? How about new Aston-Martins? Is there any doubt that the MGB V8
is an MG?

But then we get to the F. As Inspector Morse said: "horrid little jelly bean".

And yes, I think that the MGB styling is dull compared to the A (though
this is a relatvie thing - I like the B styling). I also agree that MG
broke with the past with the transition from the T series to the A, and
with the A to B transition. The fact that the B sold better doesn't
necessarily have anything to do with styling and may have everything to do
with greater performance, more creature comforts, a world economy that was
getter stronger, and the increase in population in the US and other
countries that followed WWII. When were the kids with money coming of age?
1963! At the time that the Baby Boomers were at an age to want a new MG,
they _had_ to buy a B or a Midget.

So there!

Jeff

At 3:47 PM -0400 6/9/99, Herb_Goede@amsinc.com wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Sorry but you are wrong. (Flame away my shields are impregnable.) Saying
> the "F" isn't British is like saying the new Corvette isn't American
> because it doesn't have the aerodynamics of a '57 Belair.  Time marches on
> even in Britain.  A car does not need running boards and wire wheels to be
> British.  The F is not a Morgan or a Spridget.  It is more of an updated
> MGB with a little TR6 thrown in.  If you look back at the reviews of the
> MGB (the most popular and longest running production "Sportscar" ever) many
> people thought that the styling was dull compared with the MGA.
>
> I have driven one and the "F" is very Brit.  Two years ago a British
> colleague and I rented one for a weekend while I was in London on Business.
> We drove it all the way down to Land's End and back.  It was a great time
> and I'd buy one in a London Heartbeat if I could.
>
> Herb G.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis