Re: List Wisdom:Brake Warning

To: t.williams@mrg.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: List Wisdom:Brake Warning
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:36:19 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 11/28/99 7:17:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
t.williams@mrg.ca writes:

<< - while pursuing the cause of the dash warning light for the brake
pressure
 (center of the instrument cluster) being on consistantly, I discovered the
 switch on the dash, isn't a switch at all. On my Bs, this check lamp rocks
 slightly to illuminate. At what point did the Midget brake pressure failure
 switch, switch from from the dash-mounted 'push-to-test', to a static
 warning light? Or, is my switch kaputski?

 - another question, the workshop manual wiring diagram refers to a
 handbrake warning? Did the Midget have a switch on the handbrake, and where
 was the warning lamp located?

 I have become suspect of the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, as they
 don't seem to match the car(a '77). However, the diagram indicated for '78
 seems to match? Hmmm..And all of this started with the preparation to see
 why the right turn signal doesn't flash. 4 ways function - quietly? I
 recall someone on the list recently traced the turn signal circuit? Help? >>

That was me, and I also have a '77 Midget.  The brake warning light on the
dash is just a light, not a test switch as in earlier models.

Pick up a Bentley manual to get the correct wiring diagram, or e-mail me your
address off-list and I'll mail you a photo copy of mine.  (I strongly suggest
investing in the Bentley at some point.  Maybe you need it as a Christmas
present?)  Make several enlarged photo copies of the wiring diagram so you
can highlight the troubled circuits and trace the wires easier.  A different
copy for each job.

The handbrake light switch is below the handbrake lever.  You have to remove
the driver's seat to actually get at it, but that's only 4 bolts.  It lights
the same brake warning light on the dash.

If the hazard signals are working correctly, trace the wire from the hazard
switch to the flasher.  The flasher is mounted behind the glovebox, and is a
small rectangular box pressed into a bracket on the firewall (if it is still
the Lucas original).  Otherwise, look for a standard round flasher probably
hanging by its wires (like mine was).  The power goes from the flasher to the
turn signal switch on the steering column, then to the lights.

Trace power using a volt meter or a 12 volt test light from the wire in
question to a good ground.  There should be power at the hazard switch
because it is working.  If the power doesn't get to the flasher, the wire or
one of its connectors is bad.  If it gets to the flasher, but not OUT of the
flasher, the flasher is bad.  Get the idea, Sherlock?  Trace it until you
find the problem.  Sorry I don't have the color codes here at work, but they
are in the Bentley diagram.

In my case, the wire from the hazard switch went (incorrectly) to the voltage
regulator for the panel lights and gauges, which is located next to the
flasher, and looks similar.  The wire that was supposed to go to the turn
signal switch was converted to GROUND the turn signal switch.  I moved the
wires around and the turn signals work fine.

BTW, if your brake warning light is lit, you could actually have a brake
fluid problem.  Check for leaks first.  If none, bleed the right front
caliper and see if the light goes out.  If it doesn't bleed the left front
caliper until the light goes out.  What you are doing is centering the
pressure switch.  This procedure is clearly explained in the Bentley manual.

Good luck.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget