RE: 73 midget structural

To: "'type79@ix.netcom.com'" <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: 73 midget structural
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:02:59 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Jay,
The outer sill is available as a Heritage panel . It is relatively easy to
manufacture being flat.(Read -it's an accurate reproduction) After carefully
removing the old damaged or rusted sill and end closing panels, the new sill
is easily aligned forward and aft by using the front and rear wings.There is
a lip on the bottom surface that registers against the inner sill. And the
bottom of the door, "A" post , and rear wing locate it up and down. If you
are not replacing the old "A" post , that section might be tricky to weld.
Otherwise all of the plug / spot welds are easy to get to. For a real
challenge try replacing the rear wing with a pattern panel (Made in the U.K.
of course) The one I bought was too tall , not long enough , and had the
wheel opening 1/2" - or so too far forward. Luckily the rear tail light and
side light locations were good , and the top edge fit the rear shroud just
fine. However the cut out for the aluminum trim piece was all wrong . After
a good bit of cutting , pasting , trimming and hammer and dolly work it fits
beautifully. and will need only a very small amount of lead. On the plus
side the general curvature of the part was good . If that was wrong it would
not have been usable. The final result is way better than the mangled, pop
riveted and 1'' thick bondo'd wing that it is replacing. Not for the faint
of heart , but humanly possible :-)
Mark Hanna
AN5