Re: Brake master cylinder Continued

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Brake master cylinder Continued
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 20:34:51 -0800
Cc: George Procyshyn <geopro@cyberdrive.net>, IfixMGs@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
OK, I'm confused...

The last time I replaced a master cylinder in my original Bugeye (late
70's), I used silicone fluid and never had any problems. Even sixteen+
years later when I took the system apart, the fluid was still clean and the
master cylinder was in good shape. Seems over recent years the word was
against silicone in British systems. Now it seems it's favored again. Since
I am about to do two complete brake and clutch systems, I'm wondering which
way to go? I prefer silicone because of it's non-corrosive nature, but is
there still some question as to whether it will cuase rubber components to
swell?

Gerard

At 8:36 PM -0800 3/18/00, Frank Clarici wrote:
>Charles Christ wrote:
>>
>> ok - ok i'm guilty!  rebuilt my bugeye back in 90-91.  re-did evrything new
>> lines and new seals new hoses. filled systen with silicone fluid and not 1
>> hydraulic problem since.  all i do is take out and run a hillclimb or two
>> evry year and trailer it out to fall hershey evry fall. it gets a serious
>> work out at hillclimbs.  no hydraulic failures!
>
>Like chuck, I use silicone in the A40, I did loose brakes last weekend
>but only due to a leaky brake pressure switch.
>Not to start the silicone/DOT 4 thread again but I find the stuff great.
>It bleeds like dot 4, I have no problems with the tiny bubbles, the
>pedal is firm, and the brakes work fine (as long as there is fluid in
>the master that is)
>A good friend has had it in his Healey for 15 years now, never a
>problem.
>On the other hand, PIECES goes thru a master cylinder a year. It runs
>dot 4.
>My bugeye has never had a firm brake pedal, it too uses dot 4.
>All cars have everything new.
>

>--
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ
>Down to only 3 Sprites, 1 Midget and an A40 Farina
>http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com