Re: Oil blow-by

To: "Tocci, Al" <atocci@advanta.com>
Subject: Re: Oil blow-by
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:29:32 -0400
Cc: "'spritelist'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Al -

Some random diagnostic thoughts based on what you've said...

You're running the crankcase ventilation to the SUs, I'm assuming via
the air cleaner.  What does the inside of the air cleaner look like?  Is
it an oily mess or just a little discoloration?  If it's an oily mess,
your timing cover vent is sucking up oil rather than just vapors, and
you're aspirating oil into the carbs.  Perhaps you're drawing air in
past the vented cap, which is picking up oil spray from the rockers et
al, and drawing a constant mist of oil into your carbs.  I'd be tempted
to try a non-vented cap just as an experiment.  Heck, it's cheap enough.

It's possible that your compression rings are fine (hence the good
compression), but your oil-control rings are shot (hence the oil
burning).  Unless you're burning a lot of oil, I'd be tempted to not
worry about it.

While I'm thinking about it, are you losing measurable amounts of oil?
A quart in how many miles?  If you're not even losing a quart between
oil changes, I think you're worrying too much.

What do the plugs look like?  Black and gooey or black and fluffy?  If
it's black and fluffy, you're running way rich.  Black and gooey is
oil.  Not black at all?  See previous paragraph.

Hope this helps...

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net