Re: Oil blow-by

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Tocci, Al" <atocci@advanta.com>
Subject: Re: Oil blow-by
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:20:37 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
My 70 has the "Y" pipe on the body of the HS2's that runs directly to the
oil separator on the timing cover.  It uses a calibrated vent (small hole)
on the valve cover to keep the sump negative.  Yes! it still leaks!  But the
plumbing is like the book says it should be.  If you are running a vented
cap and the vent allows to much air in, the vacuum may never be enough to
suck the oil back through the rear spiral where there should have been a
seal in the first place but wasn't.  If you remove the cap and put your hand
over the hole (no fingers in there please) you should feel a substantial
vacuum, enough to make your hand stick a little. Your engine will also go a
little lean with the cap off because it is sucking more air than normal.  It
were me I would run a non vented cap and drill a small (I started with a #60
bit and made it a little bigger) hole in the top of the valve cover.  That
is what I did but YMMV.

Mark
70 Midget
Nashville, TN