RE: Oil blow-by

To: "'Dan Dwelley'" <maine2me@yahoo.com>, "Tocci, Al" <atocci@advanta.com>, "'spritelist'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil blow-by
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:25:36 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I had a smoke problem on my 1275.  Vented from timing case into intake
through a PVC. ( High volume oil pump, big cam, header)
 When I started it in the morning it would idle for a few minutes then start
laying the smoke screen. I mean all insects and birds falling from the sky,
hide a SUV in it, smoke screen. This would last about five minutes then as
the oil temp came up it would stop. I discovered that the timing cover was
filling up and the intake would suck oil. I believe that since the motor was
breathing better because of the cam, header etc. It was producing a lot of
vacuum. Add this with a high volume oil pump filling the front case faster
then it could drain out when cold caused the oil injection.    To fix this I
put a tee in the breather line and taped a hole into the valve cover. I also
plugged the hole in the oil filler cap.

It hasn't smoked once since.